Jun
28

Replace Main Site? 2017

Been wondering the last couple of days if I should replace the main BootBlock.co.uk site with this, instead?

The main site was supposed to have a combination of quick updates like this and big, main articles - hence the Articles link on the side. But the problem is that the site feels too "bulky" and ill-suited to the quick-fire posts like these, so I'm wondering if I should just bin it and shove this in its place.

Would be a shame to lose some of the articles, though, such as the Learning to Drive series.

Need to think about it more; plus, if I do switch it over eventually, then they will be more content to see as I'm hoping to update this daily - if I do development every day.

Jul
09

Moved over to BootBlock.co.uk 2017

A little bit involved to do but now I've moved everything over from the previous sub-domain to here; new content will be gushing forth almost every day as opposed to the almost-yearly prior dribble.

I've integrated AdSense, although the block above is too tall in my opinion. I'd prefer a single-line height but Google doesn't seem to like that too much these days. Might as well keep it to a standard size.

Next up is sorting out the categories page so it makes sense and just generally works better. Maybe I made post categorisation too flexible...

Jul
10

Lost my First Post 2017

Yep, it was bound to happen - and it just did.

Wrote a large post on my keyboard and wanting a mechanical replacement and hit Submit with the appropriate Draft flag set so I can save it to the server in case I lost it. Then I lost it when the server gave me an error. That, my friends, is what you call irony.

Oh, and of course, I'm very annoyed right now.

Jul
17

New Sections on BootBlock.co.uk 2017

When I moved this blog thing over from the sub-domain, I kinda forgot that the main site had various links on it to different places such as the forums, my software, and of course to contact me.

Had a bit of a WTF moment the other day as I realised all of the said links were gone! No-one could view anything other than the absolute crud that I dribble onto here; it was only supposed to be a sub-domain and not the actual, main site.

Well. That changed.

I've now added a few sections at the top-right of this page; the main ones are links to my free and commercial software, and an area that contains contact information.

And I've just realised that this site doesn't say who I actually am.

Jul
25

Donation Page 2017

While I was fixing up an application that I hadn't worked on in a while, I noticed that it linked to a donation page on the previous blog. A donation page that no longer existed when I revamped things; I've just been sorting that out.

There's now a dedicated donate page and a link to it at the top of this very page.

I'm honestly not really expecting much from it as my software was donation-ware for almost 20 years and, well, it didn't exactly go very well. This forced me to finally start writing commercial software and stop giving it away for free. Well, there are "free editions" available so they can still be used for free if you don't require the more advanced features (and aren't particularly bothered about supporting the software). I couldn't bring myself to put the software entirely behind a paywall.

Shame, really.

(Incidentally, this is why there isn't a "next generation" of Comica as I can't really charge for it and I can no longer give away software for free)

Jul
28

Broken Pagination 2017

I was supposed to be doing smallish posts for this blog and so setting pagination to 40 posts per page seemed like a good number.

Except it didn't turn out that way; the posts are tending towards pretty large and so 40 posts was way too much. Far too much vertical text.

So I changed it to 20.

And then sorting broke.

When I originally started this blog rewrite, I couldn't get the posts returned in exactly the correct order due to the way collections et al work in Laravel, and I finally ended up doing a reverse() within the actual Blade template that displays all of the posts.

I then made changes to the Controller to reverse the results and in combination with the pagination, it went a bit... weird. Some more tarting around later yielded nothing helpful.

I remembered the stupid reverse(), ripped it out and - tada!

Now pagination is set to 10 posts per page.